Thursday, March 25, 2010

Nodder or Flicker?

I ran by myself today on the Liberty (1-lap) route. It was weird to be so quiet, but nice. There was a stronger breeze than I expected for the last half of the run, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. I didn't try to run for a fast time since I am going to do hills tomorrow; I just tried to run a consistent pace with only a couple of walk breaks. My effort wasn't through the roof, so I felt good with my time when I glanced at my watch at the end. Imagine my surprise when I keyed my pace into the calculator and it was 10:43mpm for the 4.5 miles! I definitely didn't feel like I was working hard enough to run that fast. Yay!

After I had passed a few fellow runners and greeted them with a "morning" or head gesture, I started to wonder why I'm a head flicker instead of a head nodder. Is it because nodding seems too formal, like "how do you do, ma'am"? or is it too submissive, like "yes, sir, whatever you say, sir"? or is it that it's just too pompous for my back-woods, lack of social skills and class upbringing? I'm more of a flicker, as in "hey - what's up? do you want to get together for a beer?" kind of a gal.

No comments: