Monday, June 22, 2009

Ragnar - Pre Race

Until about half way through my first leg, I felt that I had prepared adequately. Not great preparation, but adequate. I ran a tight weekend that included a similar downhill, a sort of similar long run, and a day of drinking beer. OK – so, it doesn’t really approximate what I was going to do, but I was trying. I was in regular contact with our team contact. I had all of the correct gear. I even managed to find a substitute runner!

So, the morning of the race, I rode into work with Sindi – meaning that I got up at 4:30 and dressed in my race clothes and grabbed my bag. I worked for an hour with butterflies in my stomach. Carol and I were both nervous. I don’t know why – we weren’t going to WIN the race, for pete’s sake!

So, at 7-ish, our van pulled up, and we were packed in with a bunch of strangers. We spent the next half hour getting to know each other as we drove to Layton to meet our last teammate and our driver. Then, there we were. Seven mostly-strangers thrown together in a Tahoe which is only designed for seven people – NOT seven people, a cooler, seven blankets, seven duffle bags, and air to breathe.

So, here’s the first impressions:
DeAnna (runner 1) – seems nice enough for someone who has run Boston! How in the hell did we get her?!?!?
Carol (runner 2) – already know and love her. Excited to watch her in action.
Diane (driver) – quiet and reserved
Lisa (runner 5) – outgoing and cute. Generous enough to let us use her Tahoe for two days.
Carrie (runner 4 and van captain) – organized and personable. Likes to get to know fun details about others.
Marie (runner 3) – funny sense of humor and missing her 15-month daughter – Ah! A kindred spirit.

So, we finally arrive in Logan, and we’re ready to go. Too bad that we’re at the wrong park! Oh, for hell’s sake. So, after arriving at the RIGHT park, we picked up our race packet and shirts. We wandered around (used the bathroom) and checked out the goods. Then, Jody showed up! It was fun to see her. Unfortunately, my boyfriend, Zack, didn’t come. Apparently, he found a new Barbie the day before. She trumped me. But, Jody and I had a good time shooting the shit. She was a trooper since she found no interest in the event at all. But, she did take our team picture. It's good to have friends, and ex's.

No comments: