Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ragnar: Post Race - aka Truths I've Learned

Truth #1: The “hills” that I have been running are really speed bumps. If I plan to improve, I need to incorporate more of the REAL hills into my training.

Truth #2: My food plan during the race left a little to be desired, but it wasn’t all bad. I was pressed for space, but I still managed to get a good mixture of carbs, protein, fruit and dairy in each day. I managed NOT to purchase anything but ice for the cooler.

Truth #3: My food plan leading up to the race left a LOT to be desired. If I am going to really lose weight, I need to make some significant changes in my daily behavior. So, after a weekend of pizza, chips and beer, it’s back to the basics. It’s back to healthy living. (And, I say “back to” as if I have ever really been there before….)

Truth #4: My training runs were good, but when I do another relay, I will need to sandwich more of these close runs in. They can’t be separated by entire days. They need to be done in the span of hours, instead.

Truth #5: It’s good to say thank you. The exchange for leg 5 (Lisa’s uphill attack) took place in some farmer’s pasture. Hundreds of vans and trucks matted down his field for the entire day. He and a woman (daughter?) were training a young horse while we were there. I stepped over to the corral and asked if we were on his land. When he answered yes, I proceeded to thank him for the use of his land. He was caught off guard and actually thanked me for thanking him!
Me: Sir, I just wanted to say that an event of this size must be difficult to organize, but is made easier by people like you who offer their land or time or resources. We really appreciate it.
Him: Well…. I… Um… Thank you very much, miss. I appreciate it.
Did he go the entire day with just one thank you? Were we all so busy waiting around that we couldn’t be bothered to be polite? I sure hope not.

Truth #6: This was one of the most enjoyable running experiences that I’ve ever had. It was so much different to run with a team v. the solitary running that I normally do.

Truth #7: I will do this again. Maybe as soon as October in Vegas or even Southern Utah in September. I just need a team!

Truth #8: My thighs are really, seriously, altogether far too large.

3 comments:

Carrie J. said...

I love the play by play. You shouldn't have a hard time creating a Vegas team. I'd be there in a heartbeat if I could, but I just don't know yet.

Unknown said...

Kaye, reading this completely made my day....You really made me laugh! I had a great time and yes...I am an absolute baby when it comes to spiders....I'm a toughy, but I do shriek a little with those nasty things!

Deene said...

it must be an incredible experience especially when having to become a team member with strangers. I'd love to do a long relay sometime. Thanks for the report.