Saturday, February 20, 2016

The power of a group

16 miles on the schedule for today. I really didn't want to do it. Had I stayed in Tooele, I probably wouldn't have done the whole thing. I probably would have just run 13 instead.
So, when Bub suggested that we sleep over at granny's, I knew that it was the universe telling me that I needed to run with the Huntsman Hometown Heroes as a part of the team. (My fundraising is going well, by the way....)

So, we met at Sugarhouse Park, and we did one lap in the park before running up and around the zoo and back. That was about 8 miles. Then, there was a 5-ish mile loop south and east of the park. Then, a 3-ish mile loop in upper Sugarhouse.

Then, I got back to the park and was offered chocolate milk and cookies. I declined (for now) because I knew that I had more miles in me.
The entire second loop I just couldn't get out of my mind that I would be so close to 17 miles. I kept telling myself that if my legs could do it, I would NEED to run 17 or more.
I've been stuck at 17 miles for five years. My last marathon was awful - mostly because my longest training run was 17 miles. What a huge mistake that was. Yeah, I finished the 'thon, but it was miserable. Absolutely miserable. So, I've had this mental roadblock for all of this time.
Today was the day.
When I got done with the third loop, I told Coach Elfi that I needed to run a bit more because I needed to prove to myself that I could do it AND FEEL GOOD afterwards. So, off I went, and it was good.

BTW - my butt is huge...

Stats: 17.5 miles in 3:16:31 for an 11:14mpm pace

No comments: