Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Weird heart rate problem....

This was a good run with the exception of two blocks. I ran solo because Carol isn't feeling well after a bout of food poisoning, so I headed up to Sugarhouse Park. Nice morning, felt great, no problems until after the break at 7th East for the traffic light. As soon as I stepped off the curb to begin running again, I suddenly had a hard time catching my breath; I just couldn't seem to get my lungs full. It wasn't like I was gasping for air, but I just didn't feel right. So, I stopped at 9th to "stretch" (which means I stopped to see what was going on, but I didn't want to look like a fool to the passing motorists - as if they really care), and my heart felt like it was going to pound right out of my chest. I felt for my pulse, and I'm surprised that my neck hadn't burst open! My heart had to have been going twice the normal pace for running, and it was so strong that it felt like the veins in my neck must have been enormous! Strange. So, I stretched and tried to breathe slowly to lower my heart rate. This didn't work very well. It was OK, but not great. So I walked a block. Still not great. I slowly ran a half block, but that didn't work. I stopped to "stretch" again. This time, I bent over with my head towards my knees, and suddenly, my heart rate just sank almost to the reate that it is when I am sitting. It was an instant drop, and that feeling that I couldn't catch my breath went away instantly, too. It was so weird! I didn't have a single problem for the rest of the run. I did take two walk breaks in the park, and I made them twice as long as usual, just to be safe, but basically everything was back to normal immediately following my bent-over stretch. It was weird!
Stats: 5.5 miles in 57:45 for a 10:30mpm pace

No comments: