Friday, March 23, 2012

Speed work - thanks to Russell!

Carol had a meeting this morning, so she couldn't run. I've had vertigo for a day and a half, but I was determined to run anyway. Besides, it's subsiding quickly this time. However, half of the weight class had a fit when they found out I intended to go it alone. What if you get sick (entirely possible since I barfed in my wastepaper basket yesterday)? What if you lose your balance (again, I have vertigo, duh)? I've run by myself in this state before, but they were having none of it. Finally, Russell said that he would go with me. I felt like I had a babysitter, but I was happy for the company. I thought that he would just run at his own pace and check in on me every once in a while to make sure that I hadn't tipped over into traffic. What I didn't expect was that I would try to keep up with him! What was I thinking? I was a couple of steps behind him the entire time, but I did my best to stay at his pace (which was probably a bit toned down for my benefit). When we got to 17th South, he said "Ok. We're going to pick up the pace a bit, and then when we get to the Return's Center, we'll sprint." To which I replied "Dude, I HAVE BEEN SPRINTING!" He finished the run about 30 seconds before me. I couldn't speak when I finished, and I looked like someone had spray painted my face red, but I was happy to have finished under 30 minutes!
Stats: 3.1 miles in 29:34 for a 9:33mpm pace (Yes, you read that right!)

No comments: