Monday, September 29, 2008

3 miles @ Jordan Parkway

We (me and boys in stroller) did an out-and-back. We were pressed for time because we had to meet Buba t 7pm as she got off of work, so I was concerned only with running as fast as possible and entertaining the boys.

We spent a lot of time talking about the ducks, flowers/trees, and bikes. (Meatball repeats almost everything we say right now.)

Because we didn't have a lot of time, and this portion of the parkway doesn't have good mileage markers, I figured that we would have 40 minutes to run, and that would be cutting it close. With the stroller, I run 13mpm no a good day, so I decided to try for that. This would get us done in 39 minutes. The "out" was 19 minutes, and it felt pretty good for the first mile, but then I started to tire because it was 85*. So, I was worried about the "back" because Bub hates it when she has to wait. So, I just dug in and pushed as much as I could. We did some 15-20 second fartleks on the way back as a challenge to myself.

Knowing that the "out" was 19 minutes because that's exactly when we turned around, imagine my surprise when the "back" was only 17 minutes! Woo-hoo! We finished in 36:06! I do well to run this without the boys and stroller!

What's that saying? "You're stronger than you realize, faster than you can imagine, and braver than you know." Well, something like that. I'm finding that if I really push myself (as miserable as it can be), I do more than I've given myself credit for in the past. My limitations are mental.

No comments: