Friday, May 29, 2009

thank goodness for helicopters

Liz and I took the boys to Grimm's gate and back. I was wiped out before I even started, but I know that I do need to increase my mileage and that after a week or so of this, I will be fine. The run up was hard. We walked several times, but never more than a minute. I did stop my watch 2x on the way up because we paused to watch a helicopter fly by twice. The boys were so excited. We also said "hi" to the moon - a lot. We stopped once on the way down, too, to talk to some nice cows along the fence line. We ran the rest of the way home. Great pace (11:52) considering my exhaustion.

Also, last weekend I tried to simulate what my relay experience would be - but to no avail. The 7-miler downhill happened on day three instead of day one. The 8-miler of steady climb on day two was really a 6.3 mile run while pushing the boys (which should be considered a 20-miler, for sure), and it happened on day one. The 3-miler for day three didn't happen at all due to rain, and by the time the rain cleared, I had already consumed two beers. Oh well. Maybe next weekend with better planning. Wait - that's Pride weekend, and then the race is the next week!

I also managed to squeeze in a USU loop with the boys where I tried the Galloway 1/1 method on Wednesday. That Jeff Galloway knows what he is talking about. I did 1/1 (or 2/1 since I kept losing track of time) on the second half of the loop but finished with a time comparable to what I would have had doing my normal splits. But, it felt like I was cheating....

No comments: