Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I really have been running

I just haven't been blogging about it!

First, here is my 24th of July 5k race report - somewhere in here

Next, at some point, I started having problems with my left big toe. After cutting my nails and removing all polish, I noticed that not only was the nail tender, but it was also a bit discolored. A little jolt with a needle was all the it took, and gunky, bloody puss oozed out, but what relief! I drained it for a couple of days. It's fine now.

I've been running, and here are some of my comments:

from 7/27: A decent run - a bit slower on this route than previous runs (work to Sugarhouse, 2 laps, back to work), but I'm not surprised considering my lack of training.

from 7/28: Ran from work to Liberty, three laps on wood chip path, and back to work. Ran with CB (59 year old co-worker), so my pace was a bit slower. However, if I had not run with her, I only would have done about 4.5 miles - so it was a good decision.

from 8/5: Tough because I haven't run for a week. This pace was slow because I spent probably five minutes of my time walking and fighting on the phone with Bub. The route was from work to Sugarhouse and back with two laps at the park.

from 8/6: exhausted from yesterday's 7-miler and the heat! Ran just a bit slower than I would have liked.

from 8/8: The longest run I've completed in three years! And, it was a killer! Liz went with me for the first 7.3 miles which consisted of two laps in the cemetary (1.8) and the Bevan Coleman loop (5.5). Then, I dropped Liz off at the house and did the Bevan Coleman loop again (5.5) with an up/back to Settlement Reservoir added in (2). This up/back was actually supposed to happen at mile 17 of my run, but Kelley had a cleaning job so I had to get the boys. Yes - I had to get the boys and still had five miles to complete - UG - the jog stroller for the LAST part of my run... We ran the Bevan Coleman loop again (5.5) in reverse. I don't know if it was a good idea or not, but we stopped at the park to play on the slides for about 30 minutes. After that, I had about 1.5 miles of uphill - some of it very serious. It was really hard. I stopped at about 18.5 miles which was the intersection of Vine and Broadway. We stood there for at least 5 minutes debating whether or not we should go home or finish the whole 20. We chose the whole thing, and it was really, really hard. BUT, In the end, I DID IT! My time was a lot slower than I had hoped, but the last three miles were tough with that stroller. I was TIRED, and my legs were SORE, but by Sunday I had bounced back pretty well! Very little stiffness and soreness.

from 8/10: EASLIY THE WORST RUN OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!! Took the boys up to Grimm's gate. Sam had a complete fit on the way up and ripped one of the straps on the jog stroller. I only ran about 1 mile total. I had to carry him home on my shoulders. That is how a 3-miler lasted an hour and 15 minutes.

from 8/14: I'm surprised at my pace (11:48mpm). I haven't really run since last Saturday's long. I mean, I had the Grimm's gate earlier this week, but since 1/2 of it was walking with Sam on my shoulders, it wasn't really a run at all. And, since Bub has been excessively sick with the flu all week, I haven't even been out the door. So, this run to Liberty +1 lap and back to work was good to work the gunk out of my legs. I had a long walk break towards the end to answer a phone call, so I'm really surprised by my pace!

I haven't run since then because after Bub recovered from the flu, the Meatball got it, then the Peanut, then me. I'm still suffering from a gurgly stomach and some diahrrea.

Top it all off with the start of my period. Today.

DID I MENTION THAT I'M SUPPOSED TO BE RUNNING A MARATHON THIS WEEKEND?!!?!?!

The long run really was very hard. I'm dreading the addition of six more miles to that. I'm going to be pooped from caring for everyone with the flu, getting the flu, and finishing my period which always zaps my iron levels. I'm in DEEP.

I will be ecstatic to finish in 5:30:00. At this point in my life, I was hoping to have improved to a 4:30:00, but whatever. I never truly realized how difficult it would be to run while having a family. I'm not willing to give up hardly any of my family time, so something must suffer. If I run slow forever, then so be it. (I hate writing that, though.)

No comments: